VINCENNES, Ind. (WTHI)- The old post office of Vincennes just off 6th Street. Has been the home of the police department since 2002 but with big buildings come big problems.
"We’re trying to keep up on a very large building with not a lot of money," said the Department’s Assistant Chief Terry Johnson.
The department wants the building to remain its home. Leaders are working to figure out what needs to be replaced. That's why they applied for a grant through the state to do just that.
"It’s brings in architects or engineers to look at the mechanicals inside the building and the structure its self to see what needs repaired now and what can wait," said Johnson
The grant is being funded by the U.S. Department of Interior, national Park Service’s Historic Preservation Fund Program, and is given by the Indiana Department of natural resources, Division of Preservation and Archaeology.
The organization gave the department just shy $25,000 for this project. The Vincennes Police Department didn't apply for this grant alone.
The Southern Indiana Development Commission also helped. SIDC’s program director Michelle Carrico said they are not only happy to help the local department but preserve this historical building as well.
"It will help them historically since it is a historic building to keep it structurally sound and also efficient for them to use on a daily basis,” said Carrico.
"We just need to make sure that we are prepared for these repairs rather than wait and go look the roof is leaking now we will have to find money for that. At least with this grant we can look to the future and try to plan for it," said Johnson.
This is a matching grant so the city council will have to vote to also provide funds but the police department says they're already highly in support of the project.
- Vincennes Police receives grant to prepare for future headquarter issues
- Vincennes building receives renovations
- Vincennes already looking towards future of Main Street after grant
- Vincennes school receives grants money for literacy program
- Vincennes fire officials receive $90,000 in grant money
- Vincennes University receives artifacts donation
- Downtown Vincennes receives money to update facades
- Vincennes students displaced while school receives renovations
- Vincennes University Foundation receives $4.5 million donation
- Vincennes prepared for Wabash River after rainfall