VERMILLION COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A Vermillion County Trustee was arrested on charges of theft and official misconduct.
Police say, on Monday, 57-year-old Anna "Denise" Mitchell turned herself in after two felony warrants were issued.
According to officials, the investigation started back in July after an Indiana State Board of Accounts routine audit.
Police accuse Mitchell of issuing herself checks totaling $5,000 from May of 2016 through February of 2017.
They go on to say in 2015 and 2016 she issued herself checks for extra pay to investigate township attendance, overpaying her salary, overpaying her office rent, reimbursement for office supplies, and $2,000 for construction of a new home office.
Police say she did not have any documentation for those purchases.
In total, investigators say she spent $10,547 in personal usage.
The State of Indiana spent $2,711.48 on the investigation.
Mitchell is charged with one count of official misconduct and one count of theft.
- Vermillion County Trustee arrested for theft and official misconduct
- Indiana police chief charged with theft, misconduct
- Vermillion County Election Results
- Former Southwest School Corp. treasurer arrested for official misconduct
- Operation Pullover arrest in Vermillion County
- Vermillion County man arrested for dealing meth
- Vermillion County represented in NASDAQ
- Vermillion County Cleanup fast approaching
- Vermillion County fair activities underway
- Man reportedly driving the wrong way on 63 in Vermillion arrested for auto theft