VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Fire crews were called to Fowler Park in southern Vigo County for a structure fire Friday afternoon.
Vigo County Central Dispatch confirmed a cabin was on fire that started around 12:30 p.m.
Fowler Park is where Pioneer Village is which has 16 authentic log cabins. This is also the week second graders in Vigo County are able to visit Pioneer Village for Mini Pioneer Days. The cabin that caught on fire was Cochran Cabin.
Officials confirm no children were injured and were not in the village when the fire started, but were in a different part of the park eating lunch.
Witnesses at the scene told our crew that there was a fire in the fireplace and a candle burning before the fire was reported. But, an official cause has not been released.
The cabin is reported to be a total loss. Below is information on the cabin provided by the Vigo County website:
"The Cochran Cabin was originally located northeast of Poland in Jackson Township, Owen County. Jane and Campbell Cochran purchased the land from the U.S. government and were recorded as the first white settlers in northern Owen County. They built the cabin in 1825-26 and continued living there until their deaths in 1888 and 1889. The cabin was donated by Gordon Spelbring and reconstructed in the village by park staff in 1995. Cochran Cabin has two levels, with one room above the other accessed by a wooden staircase."
We will bring you updates when information becomes available.
- Cabin a total loss after fire at Fowler Park in southern Vigo County
- Parks Department looking for artifacts to salvage after cabin fire in Fowler Park
- Renovations nearly complete at Fowler Park Beach
- Vintage Camper Rally Underway at Fowler Park
- Christmas Walk This Saturday At Fowler Park
- Fire destroys southern Vigo County home
- Cabin ravaged by fire rededicated and renamed
- Fire crews respond to southern Vigo County fire
- Parke Co home considered a total loss after early morning fire
- Business in Casey a total loss after early morning fire