TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - From corruption in college basketball to a flurry of controversy in the NFL.
A number of players from a number of teams took a knee during the National Anthem during Sunday's games.
It was called a move of solidarity for the NFL.
It was a move that tore the country apart and caused a firestorm of reaction on social media and within our own community.
News 10 reached out to Terre Haute native and retired NFL punter Steve Weatherford for his thoughts.
If you get on Weatherford's Facebook page, you'll find a picture of him standing in front of the American flag.
It's there, he says, because he believes very strongly in the flag and what it stands for.
Weatherford was a standout football player at Terre Haute North High School.
He worked his way up to the pros as a punter and didn't seem to forget about his roots.
He told us it's because of his roots that he disagrees with what some of his colleagues in the NFL are doing.
"For me, the National Anthem is sacred and I think it has a lot to do with where I grew up. Coming from the Midwest, coming from Terre Haute...I grew up in a very patriotic family," Weatherford said.
He said he does believe there is an inequality in this country and he supports the NFL in trying to inspire change.
Weatherford says some players have gone overboard.
They now need to get up off their knees, he says, and get to work.
Weatherford will be back in town on Monday to accept a big award from his old high school.
- Retired NFL pro and Terre Haute native Steve Weatherford weighs in on players taking a knee
- Terre Haute native up for big honor
- Terre Haute native writes book, sharing his journey in radio
- Knee high grass at a Terre Haute roundabout is potential danger to drivers
- Terre Haute Rex players hold baseball camp for children
- Terre Haute North football player airlifted after practice injury
- Local business and EMS weigh in on coming Terre Haute overpass
- Chicago man takes plea in Terre Haute attempted murder case
- Annual Ride for the fallen takes place around Terre Haute