TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Space heaters are the second leading cause of house fires in the United States.
While they do a good job keeping you warm, they can also be dangerous.
Assistant Fire Chief Norm Loudermilk says there are a few simple steps you can take to keep your family safe.
Loudermilk said to make sure you keep the heater away from other items like clothes.
It's recommended that you keep a three-foot perimeter around the heater at all times.
They also say never plug one into an extension cord or surge protector.
He said it is best to treat space heaters like candles.
You should always turn them off before you go to sleep.
- Terre Haute Fire Department warns about space heater safety
- Space heaters pose fire risks
- Space heaters could pose a fire risk
- Homeowner thinks space heater to blame for Friday night fire
- Space heaters common cause of several recent fires, officials give safety tips
- Terre Haute Fire Department wins state award
- Terre Haute Fire Department has hydrant request
- Propane tank heater explodes, catches fire at former ICON building in Terre Haute
- Local fire department warns of brush fire safety
- Terre Haute Fire Department responds to Locust Street house fire