TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - A new round of scams are targeting Duke Energy customers.
Officials say scammers call pretending to work for the utility company.
The scammer will try to get the potential victim to pay money over the phone.
Rick Burger, from Duke Energy, says don't take the bait.
"We never call people up within an hour and say, pay the bill. You will always if you are delinquent in a bill, you will at least be notified a month in advance...so I want people to understand that. But we never ask for a prepaid card or anything," Burger said.
If you believe a scammer, claiming from Duke Energy, has tried to contact you, call 800-521-2232.
You are also urged to contact your local police.
- Scammers target Duke Energy customers
- Duke Energy issues warning after scammers try to rip off customers
- Police warn Duke Energy customers about gift card scam
- Duke Energy customers set record for energy usage
- Duke Energy hosts JAG Challenge
- Duke Energy customers could see a 15 percent rate increase
- Duke Energy implodes generating station chimney
- State regulators approve Duke Energy rate reduction
- Duke Energy set to undergo substation improvements
- Accident on E. Rio Grande takes out Duke Energy pole; will impact customers in the area