Skip to main content
You have permission to edit this article.

Officials identify fallen Terre Haute police officer as Detective Greg Ferency

  • Updated
  • 0

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Police have confirmed the identity of the Terre Haute police officer killed in a Wednesday afternoon shooting.

Officials say Detective Greg Ferency was killed outside of the FBI office in Terre Haute.

Detective Ferency was assigned to the FBI Taskforce on behalf of the Terre Haute Police Department. He was a 30 year veteran on the department.

The shooting happened around Wednesday afternoon.

Federal officials say an FBI agent shot the suspect. 

The still-unidentified suspect is in custody and receiving medical treatment at Regional Hospital.

In a statement earlier, police said Ferency was taken to the hospital, where he died.

Terre Haute Regional Hospital

A short time after police contacted News 10 about the search for the suspect's truck, we started hearing reports on the police scanner the man was at Terre Haute Regional Hospital.

Vigo County Sheriff John Plasse told News 10 the suspect was inside the hospital in surgery. That man's condition was not immediately clear.

News 10's Heather Good was at Regional Hospital as police started searching the suspect's truck, using police K9s. The truck had several broken windows.

Several police agencies were there as part of the lot was turned into a crime scene.

Vigo County Sheriff John Plasse gave News 10 the following statement:

“We appreciate the continued tremendous support all law enforcement receives locally from our community. Please keep us and our families in your thoughts and prayers as we deal with this senseless tragedy. Knowing we are not alone in our grief really means a lot.”

What happens next?

Indiana State Police told News 10 a press conference would take place at 6:30. Around 6:45 we were told the FBI and Indiana State Police will hold a meeting, and the press conference would not happen. 

Police told us the FBI would handle the investigation.

A Wednesday night procession took Ferency from Union Hospital in Terre Haute, down 8th Avenue to 13th Street. From there the procession went by the Terre Haute Police Department on Wabash Avenue, to 7th Street, and ended at Terre Haute Regional Hospital. 

Recommended for you