PASADENA, Calif. (AP) — Mars is set to get its latest visitor Sunday night when NASA's new robotic rover, named Curiosity, attempts to land there. Mars has been a prime target for space exploration for decades, in part because its climate 3.5 billion years ago is believed to have been warm and wet, like early Earth.
Here are five other key points:
About the color
- It's called the red planet because the landscape is stained rusty-red by the iron-rich dust.
Quick weight loss
- Its gravity is only 38 percent that of Earth. So if you weigh 150 pounds on Earth, you would weigh 57 pounds on Mars.
Hot and cold
- Mars' temperatures can range from 80 degrees at its equator to -199 degrees at its poles.
The air is different
- Mars' atmosphere is mostly carbon dioxide with traces of nitrogen and argon. Earth's atmosphere is a mixture of nitrogen, oxygen and other gases.
- They last 40 minutes longer than a day on Earth.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
The holiday season is often a happy one for the whole family, but for those grieving the loss of a loved one it can be a difficult time of the year. One local family is carrying on the memory of their son during the holidays.
UPDATE: Around 9 a.m. on Saturday, the Terre Haute Police Department responded to the Statesman Inn room 144 at 1407 N 3rd Street. Officers found Randall Norton Jr, 21, with multiple stab wounds to his back and abdomen.
Update: The Washington Police Department is looking to speak with a person of interest in an ongoing death investigation.
Thanksgiving is a time to spend with family. For some people the term family goes beyond their children.
Thursday night’s church fire in Prairie Creek in Vigo County was still smoldering Friday afternoon.
UPDATE: An assault on Friday around 2 p.m. leaves one man seriously injured. Terre Haute Police responded to the 2100 block of Locust Street in Terre Haute after a report of a battery.