TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Early Monday morning, one woman was rescued by fire crews from a large apartment fire.
It started just before 7:00 Monday morning in the 500 block of South 4th Street in Terre Haute.
A 23-year-old woman was found inside the 2nd story apartment and firefighters rescued her with a ladder.
She was taken to a local hospital and then transported to Indianapolis with first and second degree burns to her arms and lower body.
Fire officials say an electrical overload caused the fire.
Gina Furrey, also a resident in the building, says a loud crashing sound woke her up from right above her.
"Glass broke and everything and it shook my whole apartment. So I got up and ran upstairs because I knew it didn't sound good and knocked on the door. There was already smoke pouring out. So I tried to kick the door down but I couldn't get it to do it. I was yelling their name and nothing was going on.. I was pretty upset and pretty scared for our upstairs neighbors," said Gina Furrey, neighbor.
CLICK HERE to see more photos.
Right on cue, Thursday’s early winter storm dumped snow and ice on the Wabash Valley but county highway crews were a step ahead of the weather’s arrival pre-treating the 897 miles of pavement in the county.
A fire has engulfed the First Prairie Creek Church in Vigo County.
A four car accident in eastern Vigo County leaves one person dead.
Workers at a new eatery in Terre Haute are preparing to open.
Otter Creek Township is on its way to getting a new fire station.
Knox County Commissioner Don Halter is ahead of the game when it comes to winter weather preparedness. But the man-power may have a hard time running full throttle. The Knox County highway budget took big cuts in 2013.