TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Local Firefighters are using a weekend fire as a reminder to all about fire safety during the holidays.
The fire happened Saturday evening at a Terre Haute home. Luckily, no one was injured during the kitchen fire, but that doesn't mean there aren't lessons to be learned for all.
Honey Creek Fire Department (HCFD) firefighters say it's a reminder to everyone to be extra cautious around the holidays.
Cooking as a family is a big tradition for many, but can become a fire hazard for multiple reasons: horseplay, unattended burners, grease fire, etc.
The HCFD warns that if a fire starts, you shouldn't hesitate to call in the professionals.
"Never try to put the fire out yourself," said HDFC Firefighter Jonathan Wright. "That's the big thing. Get out if there is an issue."
Firefighters urge all to practice fire safety in the kitchen:
- Don't leave food unattended,
- Move pot handles inward
- Use proper cookware and, finally,
- Follow all directions accordingly for cooking devices (fryers, stoves, etc.)
Firefighters believe that if you take the proper precautions cooking for whichever holiday feast you are celebrating, then the only thing you'll have to worry about is how full you are going to get.
On Tuesday, Mayor Duke Bennett handed out art grants to local organizations across the city of Terre Haute.
A Terre Haute robotics team is competing for a state title with an invention that could save lives.
In the 1980s, we asked “Where’s the beef?” while these days American consumers are more interested in what the beef has been eating.
Charities virtually everywhere are asking for your generosity, but you simply cannot give to everyone.
Southwest Sullivan Schools is among the 27 school districts who will benefit from a settlement the State Secretary of State's office reached with the Indiana State Teachers Association.