TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Thursday an abandoned house fire, on Center Street in Terre Haute, was made worse by the day's heat. Summer heat is a contributing factor that firefighters have said makes a dangerous blaze even more deadly.
Smoke poured out of the roof of the abandoned home on Center Street. Inside, the burning blaze can reach up to and beyond 600 degrees. On Thursday, in Terre Haute the phrase "out of the frying pan and into the fire" couldn't be more accurate.
"The thing about with fires and putting on your fire gear, once you get inside the house. Usually your temperature will regulate. It will stay constant," Terre Haute Fire chief Jeff Fisher said at the scene.
"So when you come outside and start taking your gear off, that's when the heat hits you and your core temperature starts going up even more."
Which means the abandoned house fire needs more man power than normal.
"Since it is such a hot day we call in extra crew, extra houses to come in and help out so we can relieve our guys," Fisher said.
Chief Fisher explained that they rotate crews into the structure and out. Once relieved, the firefighters have to come down from the triple digit heat from inside the blaze and into a heat index that's just cracking triple digits.
But there is a crew of paramedics and paramedic students standing by to assist.
"They will go to rehab, get some water in them, Gatorade in them, water on them and cool off," Fisher said.
After several hours of fighting the fire, the structure will be reduced to rubble.
But as dangerous as the abandoned home was while alight, this summer heat poses an equally deadly threat to those that battle the blazes year round.
UPDATE: Around 9 a.m. on Saturday, the Terre Haute Police Department responded to the Statesman Inn room 144 at 1407 N 3rd Street. Officers found Randall Norton Jr, 21, with multiple stab wounds to his back and abdomen.
The Washington Police Department responded Friday around 2 a.m. to a complaint of a male subject being shot. The incident happened on Oak Grove Road in Washington near Ebenezer Baptist Church.
Thanksgiving is a time to spend with family. For some people the term family goes beyond their children.
Thursday night’s church fire in Prairie Creek in Vigo County was still smoldering Friday afternoon.
UPDATE: An assault on Friday around 2 p.m. leaves one man seriously injured. Terre Haute Police responded to the 2100 block of Locust Street in Terre Haute after a report of a battery.
The warmer weather is a thing of the past, and it's expected to get worse.