TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Natalie Garland and little Luci put up their Christmas tree, a family tradition.
"I'm always very proud of my tree, and I always love looking at it and it's just one of my favorite things," Garland said.
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, holiday decorating is responsible for almost 13,000 injuries nationwide every year.
So, before your house is decked with halls, the state fire marshal and Terre Haute fire chief have a few reminders to ensure you're safe.
First, most importantly, keep your tree watered.
"They will catch fire quickly because they're dry, just like the drought during the summer," Terre Haute Fire Chief Jeff Fisher said.
Don't connect more than three light strings together.
"Don't put a bigger fuse in, don't put a bigger breaker in, just start unplugging some of the chords or go to a different outlet," Chief Fisher said.
Examine your lights every year. Even if the rip is small, throw the strand out.
"I normally put almost 2,000 lights on it any way but then we had this super big tree, so I kept putting lights on it because it didn't look enough, and then I melted a chord," Garland said.
Make sure to replace bulbs immediately if they break.
It's one of the most cheerful times of the year, a first Christmas for some.
"Last thing people want to think about it having a fire or a medical emergency we want everybody to have a joyful holiday season and if you haven't done it yet, check the batteries in your smoke alarm," Chief Fisher said.
The fire department wants you to take the right precautions so your family is protected.
For more safety tips, click on this link .
One Atlanta based law-firm says it has a reward for anyone with answers in an Edgar County Arson.
A new tuition plan for St. Patrick School will extend its in-parish tuition discount to all parishes in the Terre Haute Deanery.
Winter temperatures are here and continuing to drop! Wednesday was slated to be the coldest this year.
It's going to be the coldest night of the year. One thing to keep in mind - when the weather gets this cold, it can be dangerous to you.
A Terre Haute man found not guilty of manslaughter and guilty of battery.The jury handed down the verdict Wednesday afternoon.