TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Thursday's "Health Watch 10" focuses in on the upcoming Wabash Valley Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.
Breast cancer awareness month is quickly approaching and to kick off the month, the Wabash Valley affiliate of Susan G. Komen is holding its big race this Saturday at ISU's Memorial Stadium.
Every year, thousands of women and even men will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
In women, breast cancer is the second leading cause of death and with no cure; this walk is used to raise money that will go towards research and education.
What's also important to know is that a percentage of the funds from the walk will stay right here in the Wabash Valley.
"75 percent of our funding goes to local non-profits working in breast health. And the remaining 25 percent goes to research and helping find research for breast cancer," said Gwen Hicks from the Wabash Valley affiliate of Susan G. Komen.
Again, the race is this Saturday at ISU Memorial Stadium in Terre Haute.
Registration starts at 7:30 a.m. with the Run/Walk kicking off at 10 a.m.
If you'd like to know more about the cost of registration and how to do that before Saturday, head to www.komenwabashvalley.org.
Right on cue, Thursday’s early winter storm dumped snow and ice on the Wabash Valley but county highway crews were a step ahead of the weather’s arrival pre-treating the 897 miles of pavement in the county.
A fire has engulfed the First Prairie Creek Church in Vigo County.
A four car accident in eastern Vigo County leaves one person dead.
Workers at a new eatery in Terre Haute are preparing to open.
Otter Creek Township is on its way to getting a new fire station.
Knox County Commissioner Don Halter is ahead of the game when it comes to winter weather preparedness. But the man-power may have a hard time running full throttle. The Knox County highway budget took big cuts in 2013.