LOS ANGELES (AP) — Disney is mining The Force for even more new films.
Walt Disney Co. CEO Bob Iger said Tuesday that screenwriters Larry Kasdan and Simon Kinberg are working on stand-alone "Star Wars" movies that aren't part of the new trilogy that's in the works.
"There has been speculation about some standalone films that have been in development, and I can confirm to you today that in fact we are working on a few stand-alone films," Iger told CNBC.
Iger said the movies would be based on "great 'Star Wars' characters that are not part of the overall saga." The films would be released during the six-year period of the new trilogy, which starts in 2015 with "Star Wars: Episode VII."
Disney confirmed last month that "Star Trek" director J.J. Abrams will direct the seventh installment of the "Star Wars" saga.
Disney bought "Star Wars" maker Lucasfilm last year for more than $4 billion.
The last "Star Wars" trilogy, a prequel to the original films, was released from 1999 to 2005.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Last week’s early-winter storm canceled school, closed roads, and put the Toys-for-Tots program in Sullivan County in unprecedented danger just weeks before Christmas.
Two dog lovers want answers after they find a litter of pups freezing in Saturday's snow.
On Wednesday evening just before 6:00, Flora Assistant Police Chief Guye Durre was struck by a semi on Highway 50 and North Stanford in Flora while in his squad car.
Hoosier Lottery fans will have a shot at winnings multiple millions this week.
A Parke County accident kills one, and sends another to the hospital.
Court Documents show what led to the murder of 17 year old Devan Burris of Washington, Indiana.