"We didn't know actually he was out of the house." Hundreds of gunshots later, 20 + hour standoff comes to an end

Two people are dead and one man is critically injured but expected to survive in this incident.

Posted: Mar. 6, 2018 7:33 PM
Updated: Mar. 6, 2018 11:09 PM

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - A standoff that lasted nearly 20 hours is over.

Two people are dead and one man is critically injured but expected to survive in this incident.

It started when police responded to a shooting on Putnam Street.

That shooting left 40-year-old Amanda Kerns dead and another man seriously hurt.

The Vigo County Coroner told News 10 Kerns died from a single gunshot wound to the abdomen.

In a press conference on Tuesday, Terre Haute Police Chief John Plasse said a victim identified the shooter as Mikey Reynolds.

However, authorities say they are waiting on positive identification to confirm that name.

The suspect first made his way to his house on 1st Avenue in Terre Haute.

Police say 26 minutes after the Putnam Street shooting, the suspect began firing at them on 1st Avenue.

That's when the standoff with police began.

We learned in a news conference a sniper shot the suspect at the 1st Avenue location, but not fatally.

After that, the suspect managed to break from police perimeter and move from 1st Avenue to a home on 4th Avenue.

Someone approached police and told them he had moved.

From there, Indiana State Police SWAT officers surrounded the home.

The suspect went out the home's back door and engaged officers.

They returned fire, killing the suspect.

"We didn't know actually he was out of the house. We were doing everything we could to get him out of the house. We were under the assumption he was still there until luckily we had tips from the public that led to his whereabouts. I'm thankful for that, because who knows who else he would have targeted," Terre Haute Police Chief John Plasse said.

The person that lives in the 4th Avenue house was an acquaintance of the suspect.

Police say the suspect was wearing black and came out of a basement window in a concealed area, which helped him escape.

He was also wearing body armor and fired 200 times on police during this entire event.

Now, police are investigating three scenes.

The homicide on Putnam Street, the suspect's home on 1st Avenue, and the location of the police action shooting on 4th Avenue.

Once those investigations conclude, they'll forward their findings to Vigo County Prosecutor Terry Modesitt.

News 10 was on the scene when the standoff came to an end, and our cameras were rolling.

Indiana State Police Sergeant Joe Watts was doing an interview with our cameras as the shooting started.

Those gunshots, police say, are the ones that killed the suspect, ending the standoff.

"In my 32 years with the Indiana State Police, I've never had this happen while interviewing," Watts said.

He says this is proof danger can come into play at any minute.

"That's why we want people off the sidewalks, that's why we want people inside their homes. You know, people want to come out and gaze, and see what's going on and all the normal nosy things, but this is exactly why we want people inside their homes and why we want people vacated from the scene. Gunfire can break out at any moment," Watts said.

Watts says in total there were between 100-150 officers from various agencies on the scene.

During the 20 hours standoff, many residents were either trapped inside or kept away from their homes.

A neighbor told News 10 the standoff was a terrifying experience.

He said having the police presence made them feel a lot safer.

"The officers, state troopers, and stuff were coming down to the first three or four immediate houses on the opposite side of the street where I reside to check and make sure that none of us were hit and we were okay," resident Garri Knezevich said.

We will continue to follow this developing story and bring you more information as soon as it becomes available.

Putnam Street

40-year old Amanda Kerns shot and killed and another male victim severely wounded

1st Avenue

26-minutes after Putnam Street shooting, police say the suspect started firing rounds at them. The suspect left this house sometime during the overnight hours by slipping out of a basement window.

4th Avenue

A tip led police to a home on 4th Avenue, where they learned the suspect broke their perimeter and escaped. After around 20 hours the standoff ended with police shooting the suspect. 


Complete Coverage








Related Content

Article Comments

Terre Haute
Scattered Clouds
76° wxIcon
Hi: 83° Lo: 71°
Feels Like: 76°
Scattered Clouds
74° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 71°
Feels Like: 74°
Scattered Clouds
72° wxIcon
Hi: 82° Lo: 68°
Feels Like: 72°
Scattered Clouds
76° wxIcon
Hi: 81° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 76°
Broken Clouds
76° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 76°
Scattered Clouds
76° wxIcon
Hi: 84° Lo: 71°
Feels Like: 76°
Scattered Clouds
76° wxIcon
Hi: 83° Lo: 70°
Feels Like: 76°
Scattered storms
WTHI Planner
WTHI Temps
WTHI Radar

WTHI Events