DAVIESS COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A volunteer firefighter was killed at the scene of a crash Friday night. That’s according to Indiana State Police.
Officials say a crash with injury was reported just before 10 Friday night. They say it happened on Old Highway 50, west of County Road 800 East. ISP says in addition to County Sheriff’s deputies, three firefighters from the Montgomery and Cannelburg Fire Departments responded to the scene. Police say the 3 firefighters had shown up in personal vehicles.
Indiana State Police say a fourth responding firefighter was 26-year-old Colby Blake of Cannelburg. Police say he was traveling east in his 2006 Dodge Ram truck. They say while approaching the scene, Blake hit the rear of another Dodge Ram truck parked by a firefighter along the south side of the road. Police say Blake’s Dodge continued east, striking a 2013 Ford Fusion parked by 27-year-old Kendall Murphy of Montgomery. Officials say Murphy, who was a firefighter that responded to the scene, was standing outside of his Ford, and was struck by Blake’s Dodge as it continued east.
Indiana State Police say Blake crashed into a third firefighter’s vehicle after striking Murphy, a 2007 Ford F350 truck, before coming to a stop. Police say Murphy suffered numerous injuries after being struck. They say he was pronounced dead at the scene by the Daviess County Coroner.
Officials say Blake was not injured in the crash, but police investigating on-scene found Blake was operating while intoxicated. They say his blood alcohol level was 0.21%.
Police say Blake has been preliminarily charged with Operating a Motor Vehicle While Intoxicated Causing Death and Reckless Driving. They say he’s being held in the Daviess County Security Center, with formal charges to be filed by the Daviess County Prosecutor’s Office.
Officials say the crash is still under investigation by ISP crash reconstructionists.
- Volunteer firefighter killed at crash scene
- Man accused of killing volunteer firefighter in crash has trial date set
- Funeral arrangements made for Volunteer Firefighter killed in the line of duty
- Gov. Holcomb directs flags at half-staff in honor of volunteer firefighter killed in line of duty
- CASA Gala honors volunteers
- Daviess Firefighter remembered after being killed by alleged drunk driver
- Terre Haute man arrested after police say he left the scene of a crash
- Illinois police looking for suspect accused of leaving scene of crash
- Volunteers help clean up community
- Public receives behind the scenes look at K-9 event