VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI)- You would expect to hear Vigo County 911 Dispatch to have many calls for various situations but the number of calls involving domestic abuse might surprise you.
In 2017 with all law enforcement agencies in the county they had 3,654 domestic calls.
The call centers operators take roughly ten calls a day involving domestic disputes. Of course, not all of these are extreme situations.
Rob McMullen with the Vigo County Dispatch says some of these can just be verbal altercations but they break down each situation into two different classes.
"In progress or just it has happened in the past. In progress means it's going on right now. There's an active argument either physical or verbal," said McMullen.
Every call received results from at least two officers being sent. It’s their way to ensure everything turns out alright but dispatch wants to stress the importance of reaching out no matter the situation because what may first start off small could escalate.
"Don't just sit back and take that. Go ahead and call 911, get that reported in where we can get an officer out to your house just to make sure everything's ok," said McMullen.
If you are currently suffering from domestic abuse there are multiple places you can reach out to.
The Council on Domestic Abuse. You can call them at 812-234-3441 or go to their website here.
FSA Council Center. You can call them at 812-232-4349 or go to their website here.
- Vigo County Dispatch receives alarming number of domestic situations
- Early voting numbers up in Vigo County
- Indiana schools to implement statewide suicide prevention policy, Vigo County explains alarming trend
- Vigo County receives grant to help with immunizations
- Southern Vigo County road to receive higher speed limit
- “Our numbers have almost tripled.” Who is behind bars at Vigo County Jail?
- Vigo County electoral board hoping for increased voting numbers, advertising polling locations
- Vigo County on track for higher voting numbers compared to 2014
- Company moving to Vigo County receives big help from the county
- Help animals rescued from hoarding situation in Owen County