TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - It's a simple gesture all to make a young boy smile.
Terre Haute Police Officer Rob Pitts was recently killed in the line of duty.
What is a challenge coin?
A challenge coin is a small coin or medallion, bearing an organization’s insignia or emblem and carried by the organization’s members. Traditionally, they are given to prove membership when challenged and to enhance morale. In addition, they are also collected by service members. In practice, challenge coins are normally presented by unit commanders in recognition of special achievement by a member of the unit. They are also exchanged in recognition of visits to an organization.
He left behind three children, one of them being five-year-old Dakota Pitts.
COMPLETE COVERAGE | REMEMBERING OFFICER ROB PITTS
Dakota said he loved the police department challenge coins.
Now, Chief John Plasse says he working to help him snag as many coins as possible from across the globe.
"That's one thing that brightens his face...when he gets those. If that's what it takes to make him happy, then that's the least we can do. But, it's a definite instant...just happiness on his face when he sees those coins," Plasse said.
Challenge coins started as a tradition in the military, as a way to recognize service members.
Plasse told us law enforcement picked up on the culture over the years.
Coins have begun to arrive at the Terre Haute Police Department from all over the country for Dakota.
- Up to the Challenge: THPD Chief John Plasse working to help five-year-old Dakota Pitts build his challenge coin collection
- THPD Chief Plasse shares words following Officer Pitts' death
- "We have to be better than this..." Chief John Plasse on Mikey Reynolds escape
- VIDEO: Full press conference with Terre Haute Police Chief John Plasse
- Police Chief Plasse: Recent shots fired cases connected to drugs
- Five-year-old Dakota Pitts presented with a badge, in honor of his father
- Five-year-old Dakota Pitts returns to school, 70 officers on hand to welcome him
- THPD Investigating Shots Fired
- Indiana AG challenges settlement over immigration detentions
- Indiana teacher challenges district transgender name policy