TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - An infant is dead and one person is behind bars.
The investigation started on March 12th when police were called to Terre Haute Regional Hospital after staff reported the death of a three-month-old infant.
According to police, the infant was taken to the hospital by an ambulance from a home on Ijams Drive for breathing difficulty.
Police began questioning the infant's mother, 38-year-old Tabetha Smith.
While looking through medical records, investigators learned the infant required a feeding tube.
Earlier this week, police received the autopsy results on the child which said the cause of death for the three-month-old was severe dehydration.
On Friday, police arrested Smith.
She was charged with neglect of a dependent resulting in death.
- Terre Haute mom arrested after three-month-old died from severe dehydration
- Terre Haute man arrested after overnight pursuit
- Terre Haute man arrested on rape charges
- Terre Haute City Council approves several new policy changes
- Crime Stoppers: Terre Haute woman wanted on several theft warrants
- Terre Haute man dies in Edgar County motorcycle accident
- Terre Haute man dies in Montgomery County construction accident
- Two arrested after fight outside Terre Haute sports bar
- West Terre Haute Police Officer arrested on domestic battery charge
- Suspect arrested in connection with October shooting in Terre Haute