SULLIVAN COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - The Sullivan County Sheriff’s Office reports a juvenile was taken into custody early Friday morning for intimidation after making a threat.
Police report this potential threat was averted ‘after quick thinking Sullivan High School students reported an overheard threatening comment to school officials.’
Sheriff Clark Cottom states that after the school corporation reached out to police Thursday evening, deputies worked through the night on this case.
Officials report a Sullivan High School student had been plotting to cause serious bodily harm to possibly three other local teenagers. Police report that all involved are students, but they do not believe the act was to be carried out on school property.
But, Sheriff Cottom said the threat was real.
The juvenile was taken into custody just after 1 a.m. on Friday and taken to the Southwest Juvenile Detention Center in Vincennes. The juvenile is facing a charge of felony intimidation.
Sheriff Cottom states this is the fourth ‘youth violence related incident’ the department has worked in five days. Cottom states this is a troubling trend.
“In this last case, the heightened sense of awareness by students and immediate response by school officials averted what could have been a life-threatening situation,” Cottom stated in a release.
- Sullivan Co. juvenile detained after potential threat against other students
- Juvenile detained in connection with Sullivan County school threats
- Sullivan County Ambulance update
- Vigo County Juvenile Center getting upgrades
- Indiana addresses potential water crisis
- Police investigate potential threat at North Central High School in Farmersburg
- Tractor stolen in Sullivan County
- Fire at Sullivan lumber yard
- THN student arrested for making threats on Snapchat
- Police recover two stolen handguns, juvenile in custody