CRAWFORD COUNTY, Ill. (WTHI) - Could two school districts soon become one?
That will be for the voters of Hutsonville and Palestine, Illinois to decide very soon.
A committee of 10 was formed to look into consolidation options for the districts.
That's why they hosted a town hall to educate voters on what's at stake.
Some residents say they're not convinced merging Hutsonville and Palestine schools is the best option.
That's after Monday night's town hall meeting at Lincoln Trail Community College.
Over time, both districts say they have struggled with issues like declining enrollment and teacher shortages.
They believe merging the two can help provide opportunities for students, like class options and more credits.
But as some residents explained, they're not totally convinced that consolidating is the best option.
"We don't have to do anything we're financially sound," said Sherry Creed, Palestine resident, "There's no reason to move forward yet and when Hutsonville is ready, we would love to have them come to Palestine. We're ready to fix our high school. We have people ready to donate the time and money to fix our school up."
Voters will hit the polls in March to decide.
The committee will host two more meetings.
The next one will happen on Monday, February 26th at 6:30 p.m. in the Hutsonville High School Gym and the second one will happen on Tuesday, February 27th at 6:30 p.m. in the Palestine Grade School Gym.
You can also view the consolidation facts sheet, presented by the Committee of 10 online.
- School consolidation in Crawford County will come down to a vote
- School consolidation goes to a vote
- Crawford County residents 'carol for a cause'
- Illinois school consolidation moves to state superintendent
- Emotional damage left behind after no consolidation vote for Hutsonville and Palestine schools
- One dead after crash in Crawford County, Illinois
- Churches in Crawford County to be provided AEDs
- Crawford County Jail offering many options to inmates
- Services announced for Crawford County woman killed on Tuesday
- Northeast School Corp. looking at possibility of consolidation