VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Vigo County School Superintendent Dr. Danny Tanoos has announced he will retire at the end of this year.
Tanoos made the announcement in front of a packed audience at Monday's school corporation meeting.
Tanoos started teaching in 1979 and will serve 20 years as superintendent.
For Tanoos, his 38-year career in education will end at the end of this year.
The board unanimously accepted Tanoos's retirement letter at Monday's meeting.
During the meeting, he highlighted his accomplishments.
Those range from establishing school liaison officers to the county's high graduation rate.
Tanoos declined to speak to the media.
He did talk about the pending referendum of the three major county high schools as part of his reason for retiring now.
"The board is going to need a superintendent that's going to see the project through from beginning to end, so it would most appropriate for a new superintendent to experience that process from start to finish," Tanoos said.
He will officially step down as superintendent on July 1st.
He will then take on an administrative role and help in the transition process.
Tanoos officially retires on December 31st.
School board member Mel Burks joined the board 20 years ago, at the same time Tanoo became superintendent.
We asked him what the announcement meant to him.
"There are a lot of things he did that wasn't related to the school corporation in helping other people in the community you're going to miss that kind of leadership," Burks said.
Then, there's the story of an AP government class from Terre Haute North Vigo High School.
A handful of students needed to attend a meeting for a project.
Little did they know the meeting they chose to attend would have such an impact.
"We're just coming in here for government class, and it shows procrastinating pays off because we're coming towards a deadline for this assignment. And yeah...it was definitely something we didn't expect," student Brandon Cooper said.
"You could kind of feel the emotions in the room. It was off-putting. But you knew it was coming," Lauren Branam, another student attending the meeting said.
News 10 briefly spoke with Tanoos following the meeting.
He said he would speak with us later in the week and talk more fully about his decision to retire.
- An emotional Danny Tanoos announces his retirement as Superintendent of VCSC
- Danny Tanoos wraps up his last day as superintendent
- A bittersweet goodbye: Dr. Danny Tanoos attends last board meeting as superintendent
- Public input needed in VCSC superintendent search
- VCSC board hears concerns regarding superintendent search
- Elkhart Community Schools makes the announcement and VCSC confirms, new superintendent revealed
- New VCSC superintendent speaks on camera for the first time since new job announcement
- Public hearing set to discuss new VCSC superintendent's contract
- VCSC wants to know what you are looking for in a new superintendent
- VCSC: We should have a new superintendent by the end of the month