TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - With the severe weather season coming up, storm team 10 is keeping you updated so you can keep you,
and your family safe in the event of a tornado.
One of the first signs of a tornado...heavy rain or hail, which is followed almost immediately by calm conditions.
If a tornado is happening near you, the best option, if possible, is to get to the lowest level of the building you're in, preferrably a basement.
If you don't have a basement, find a small interior room, like a bathroom or a closet.
One of the big things to avoid, are windows.
Even if you're on the ground floor, they pose as a threat to your safety.
Severe weather preparedness week is coming up March 18th through 24th in Indiana.
Stick with storm team 10 for more updates on how you can keep you and your family safe.
- Preparing for severe weather: Never too early
- Severe Weather Preparedness Week underway
- Severe Weather When Driving: What to Do
- Severe Weather at Home: What to Do
- INDOT prepares for upcoming winter weather
- Beekeepers' Spring preparations underway
- Prepare now: this week is Winter Weather Preparedness Week
- Pet experts say prepare your pets for warm weather pests
- Area hospitals prepare for disasters
- Knox County prepares for primaries