TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - Three serious cases of shots fired have Terre Haute residents concerned. So, we decided to look into whether our police are dealing with more "shots fired" calls than in a typical year. Police Chief John Plasse told us he has an interesting thought as to how to combat shots fired cases.
In March of 2018, shots rang out during a police standoff. A woman on First Avenue was arrested for firing shots. Her gun even went off when she threw it on a sidewalk trying to hide it from police. And shots also rang out at the McDonald's on Lafayette Avenue. A man was arrested in connection to that incident, as well.
But when looking at shots fired cases so far in 2018, Plasse says it's been a typical year. In fact, officers have recieved about the same number of shots fired calls so far this year when compared to this same time period last year. The number of reportable cases of shots fired are way down in 2018, however. However, Plasse agrees the seriousness of this month's barrage of cases has him concerned.
Plasse attributes these three shootings to drugs, and he's got a plan to address it.
"We need to probably put some more manpower in our drug task force," Plasse said. "I'm sure we've got a lot more seizures this year from last year. It's never-ending, unfortunately."
Plasse said each of the shooters from these three cases in March were either on drugs or known drug users.
Their drug of choice was meth.
- Police Chief Plasse: Recent shots fired cases connected to drugs
- THPD Chief Plasse shares words following Officer Pitts' death
- VIDEO: Full press conference with Terre Haute Police Chief John Plasse
- "We have to be better than this..." Chief John Plasse on Mikey Reynolds escape
- Chief Plasse takes responsibilty for failure to keep suspect in perimeter during stand-off
- Police investigate shots fired case in Terre Haute
- THPD Investigating Shots Fired
- Recent rain improves area crops
- Up to the Challenge: THPD Chief John Plasse working to help five-year-old Dakota Pitts build his challenge coin collection
- One of four arrested in connection to starvation case sentenced