VIGO COUNTY, INd. (WTHI) - Local veterans took a tour around Terre Haute on Friday. It was not a joy ride, but it was a ride for the joy of others!
These veterans hopped on city buses to help people in need.
They handed out food to the homeless and they also stuffed bags with blankets and warm clothes.
The veterans knew they could reach the most people on the First Friday of the month when bus rides are free.
Unfortunately there are 500 people living homeless in Vigo County and 175 are those who served our country.
"It shouldn't be. This is the greatest country in the world,” said Michael Egy, coordinator of Loyal Veterans Battalion. “We should not have this poverty. I'm not saying everyone should live like millionaires but we should not have this type of poverty."
The Loyal Veterans Battalion is to thank for getting the supplies to the right hands.
- Local Veterans jump on city buses to pass out supplies to those who are homeless
- Food drive helps homeless veterans
- Local group working to gather pet supplies for Irma victims
- Local pharmacy offering free flu shots; while supplies last!
- Group hands out supplies to local middle schoolers
- Bloomington closes Kirkwood to demo driverless buses
- ISU pays tribute to local veterans
- Brick placement ceremony honors local veterans
- Upcoming count to assess needs of local homeless population
- Local woman gives the homeless a voice in new book