TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - The Vigo County School Board has already taken its first steps in finding its next superintendent.
Dr. Danny Tanoos announced during last night's board meeting he's stepping down as superintendent on July 1st. The board president told us the board will hire his replacement by that same date.
To aid the board in its search, it hired University Placement Team. This team includes a representative from Indiana State University. Their services won't cost taxpayers anything.
Dr. Tanoos's retirement puts the board in unchartered territory.
"None of us, of course, have ever been through the process of looking for a new superintendent, because Danny's been here for 20 years," Lower told us.
Besides ISU, University Placement Team has members from Indiana University, Purdue University and Ball State University. The team and board members will begin the search process in earnest at an executive session of the board on Tuesday.
"One of our first steps will be trying to come up with a list of characteristics and academic experience we're going to require," Lower told us.
She also said the search will be national. However, the board welcomes local and even internal candidates to apply. Later in the process, the board will also want to hear from you.
"That's one of our big things is trying to get the community involved," Lower concluded.
When asked about the issue of transparency, Lower says the board has a good track record in that regard. She says this process will be as transparent as anything else they do.
- Hiring process for next Vigo Schools Superintendent already underway
- Vigo County Teacher's Association presented a letter on superintendent process to the school board, you can read it here
- School board hires University Placement Team for superintendent search
- Study underway at the Vigo County Jail
- Vigo County bridge reopens after months-long repair process
- New: Breakdown of survey results for Vigo County Superintendent Search
- First day for Vigo County students and superintendent alike
- Vigo County Parks Department hopes to hire new staff
- Jury selection underway for criminal confinement trial in Vigo County
- Plans underway for a new Menards in southern Vigo County