VERMILLION COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A town that saw the worst of the flooding, Eugene, Indiana is home to a local hotspot.
The covered bridge restaurant was hit hard by our week of rain.
"But it was...it was close. It's the closest I've seen it, and i've been here sixteen years. Well, and to look at the bridge, and where the water is, the distance, you think there's no way that much water could fit underneath that bridge, and it really did."
Baylee Wilson is a waitress at the restaurant.
She says through the entire event, the restaurant had good luck.
"Surprisingly we did stay open through the entire thing, the only thing that it affected was on thursday and friday they started moving some freezers out."
However, some help would have been nice.
Governor Holcomb issued a disaster declaration, and although some neighboring counties were on the list, Vermillion county was not.
"So, that's really kind of shocking that we didn't get it, and it's kind of sad, you know, that we're a small community and there's not much here, so every little bit helps."
However, the owners are not new to flooding.
They went through the same thing back in 1994.
This recent flood helped them remember it's never too early to start preparing
"I think having this type of a scare really kinda gave them an idea of, if it would happen again, how quickly they can get things loaded up, how quickly we can get things out."
It just goes to show that although things may seem bad, there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.
- Following up with a local business about flooding
- Local gaming business gaining national attention
- Business is growing for local tree farm
- Bitterly cold temperatures keeping local retailers busy
- Local businesses talk net neutrality at meeting
- Flooding continues in Eugene, Indiana
- Local business owner honored by the Department of Defense
- Small local businesses going digital for cyber Monday
- New and old local shops participate in small business Saturday
- Local shops hope businesses wont decrease when Macy's closes