VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A positive identification has been made for the female who was found in a pond in eastern Vigo County.
Vigo County Coroner Dr. Susan Amos confirms with News 10 that the female has been positively identified as missing Terre Haute woman Alice ‘Anita’ Oswald.
Oswald was reported missing in early November of 2017. She was last seen in her Honda CRV at a heating and cooling business on Maple Avenue.
She was going to meet a repair technician at a home on 2nd Avenue, but Oswald never showed.
Her home at the corner of 24th and 2nd Avenue in Terre Haute is also an active arson investigation. A passerby spotted the fire, which happened a few days after Oswald disappeared.
Oswald's vehicle was located on Jan. 5 in a body of water in eastern Vigo County. Inside the vehicle police say there was a white female.
Terre Haute Police say the process of locating the vehicle in the pond spanned two days with 30 to 40 people working the scene.
Authorities say the work began with the drilling of pilot holes in the ice. Then crews sent a camera underwater and two divers - that's when they found the burgundy Honda CRV.
Authorities say it took a lot of effort to get the car out of the frozen water, but were successful in getting it out.
After an autopsy and several weeks of DNA testing, the positive identification was made that the female located inside the CRV was Oswald.
During a press conference after the vehicle was located, Terre Haute Police reported they are suspecting foul play in this case. The Silver Alert that was issued when she was reported missing was canceled as of 12:52 p.m. on Monday.
FULL PRESS CONFERENCE | CLICK HERE
Oswald was the founder of Harmony Haven Sanctuary in Vigo County. Since her disappearance, the board of directors for the shelter want to close Harmony Haven Sanctuary by the end of the month.
But that cannot happen until the four dogs left at the facility are placed in a home or with another rescue. For more information on how to help Harmony Haven, click here.
News 10 will continue to follow this story and bring you the latest when information becomes available.
- Coroner positively identifies body located in Honda CRV to be missing Terre Haute woman
- Police locate Oswald's Honda CRV
- Thompson's Honda relocating in 2018
- Kidney care facility opens Terre Haute location
- New insurance location open in Terre Haute
- Coroner identifies victim of Meridian Tower fire
- LOCATED: Police find missing Sullivan County woman
- Terre Haute Children's Museum's executive director resigns from position
- Donnelly: Terre Haute "perfect location" for new VA clinic
- Terre Haute's Oktoberfest kicks off at new location