BOONE COUNTY, Ind. (WTTV) – A Boone County deputy will not survive injuries after getting shot in the line of duty while assisting Lebanon police Friday morning. Deputy Jacob Pickett was shot while helping Lebanon officers serve a warrant.
Police say all three suspects believed to be involved are in custody.
Officers with the Lebanon Police Department were serving an arrest warrant in the area of Hoosier Estates around 8:30 a.m. for 28-year-old John Baldwin Jr. The warrant was for two 2017 cases: auto theft and possession of syringe. Police say Baldwin Jr. and two others got into a vehicle and fled the scene.
A police pursuit ensued through Lebanon, and at some point during the pursuit, Pickett got involved to assist. It turned into a foot pursuit, and he was shot.
Pickett was transported to Witham Hospital, and a short time later he was flown to St. Vincent Hospital on 86th street in Indianapolis. Police say he will not survive his injuries. His life is being preserved so he can be an organ donor.
“It’s gut wrenching. It rips all our hearts out when this happens. Our thoughts and prayers are obviously with the family and everybody but we’re gonna keep working, we’re gonna keep working,” ISP Sgt. Perrine said.
One of the suspects was shot by police; the suspect’s condition is stable.
There was a pursuit following the shooting. The suspect’s vehicle entered the soutbound ramp of I-65 and started traveling northbound. Police were able to stop the vehicle, and one suspect was taken into custody.
Dozens of cops with guns and body armor and SWAT could be seen in Lebanon on North Park Street.\\\
Police later located a third suspect, John Baldwin Sr., when he turned himself in. Police released these photos of Baldwin. According to court records, Baldwin has two prior felonies out of Boone County for theft.
Police have all three suspects believed to be involved in the shooting in custody at this time. In addition to John Baldwin Jr. and John Baldwin Sr., the other suspect was identified as 21-year-old Anthony Bumghart. It is unclear which of the suspects was shot.
All city buildings in Boone County are closed for the rest of the day.
Several other local law enforcement agencies are sending their thoughts and prayers to Boone County.
*This story was originally published by WTTV in Indianapolis.
- ISP: Boone County deputy shot during pursuit will not survive injuries, will donate organs
- Organization received big donation
- Funeral arrangements announced for fallen Boone County Deputy Jacob Pickett
- Mourners can pay respects to Boone County Deputy Jacob Pickett during Thursday’s visitation
- ISP trooper shot in the head during chase in Jeffersonville
- ISP returns from Colorado investigation
- Three people charged in connection with the deaths of Officer Rob Pitts & Boone County Deputy Jacob Pickett
- Man arrested after Parke County pursuit
- One arrested after pursuit in Martin County
- Clay County group receives donation