VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Neighbors pulled together and took action after learning about a rezoning request near their homes.
A developer out of Sullivan had petitioned to rezone some farmland to allow him to build a new Dollar General store.
Foster Builders planned to put a new store at State Road 63 and Durkee's Ferry Road.
Neighbors say they noticed a sign outlining the rezoning request on Friday.
By Monday, they had an online petition opposing the Dollar General.
As of Monday afternoon, the group had more than 600 signatures.
A little later in the day, neighbors heard rumblings the rezoning petition had already been withdrawn.
We were able to confirm with both Vigo County, Area Planning, and the developer.
Neighbors felt a Dollar General would forever change where they live.
"One thing would be the traffic. The traffic is bad on 63, and I think it would be horrible if we got a Dollar General here...and people stopping," resident Judith Krischak told us.
A call to the landowner has not been returned.
Neighbors that we spoke with were pretty happy with the decision.
- After petition, new Vigo County Dollar General location a no-go
- Vigo County Electoral Board still finalizing voting center locations
- Shakamak schools receive big surprise fro Dollar General
- 21 voting centers approved for Vigo County, including one located on campus of Indiana State University
- All clear given after suspicious package located at Vigo County Courthouse
- Vigo County electoral board hoping for increased voting numbers, advertising polling locations
- Courthouse out: Vigo County changes voting location to Annex, here's where else you can vote
- Vigo County beach to close
- Donation benefits Vigo County park
- LOCATED: Police find missing Sullivan County woman