VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A murder suspect has been returned to Vigo County from out of state.
Police believe Kenneth Pitts Junior murdered Alice Anita Oswald.
Oswald disappeared in November of 2017 after leaving the Harmony Haven animal rescue, where she was director of the shelter. She was last seen at a heating and cooling business on Maple Avenue in Terre Haute. She had made arrangements to meet with a service technician at one of her homes on 2nd Avenue. Police believe she stopped at her home prior to meeting the tech. Terre Haute Police believe Oswald came home on November 9th to find at least three people in her basement, and one on lookout. Police believe Oswald confronted Pitts and shot him in the face, but she did not kill him. That's when police say they think Pitts beat Oswald to death with a hatchet handle.
Oswald turned up missing last November. They found her body in a Vigo County pond a few months later.
After police named Pitts as the murder suspect, the search for him began.
Back in May, Pitts was found at a camp site in Nevada and arrested. He's been in jail out of state ever since.
Jail records show Pitts was booked into the Vigo County Jail Saturday night, just before midnight.
Jail records also show Pitts faces more than ten charges including murder, arson, and altering the scene of death. Because of his murder charge, Pitts is being held without bond.
Records show he's due in court Monday afternoon.
- Kenneth Pitts Junior extradited to Vigo County
- We now know when Kenneth Pitts, Jr. will return to Vigo County
- You may have heard the name Kenneth Pitts before, here's why
- ARRESTED: Las Vegas police arrest Kenneth Pitts, Jr. in Nevada campsite
- Trial date set for Kenneth R. Pitts Jr in Anita Oswald case
- Buddy Ellinger Junior sentenced
- From Vigo to Sullivan County, Officer Pitts had a big impact
- "We also believe there's a strong possibility that he could be in more rural areas." Police continue their search for Kenneth Pitts, Jr.
- Photos: Remembering Officer Rob Pitts
- Vigo County beach to close