TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) - News 10 has been following the story of a woman who was pulled from a bridge earlier this week.
The woman was standing on the Wabash River Bridge that connects Terre Haute to West Terre Haute.
Emergency personnel was called to the location.
Kevin Bays was waiting in traffic and noticed the woman. He started shooting video.
That is when fire investigator Norm Loudermilk pulled the woman back to the ground.
"I felt that I needed to separate myself from the sheriff and I got behind the person on the wall. She didn't see me because the sheriff was trying to talk her down," said Loudermilk.
Several people involved in the incident say it's all about being in the right place at the right time.
Loudermilk says he "was shaking when it was over with. It was pretty scary".
Most of us have our phones with us at all times.
It was no different for Bays.
What he caught on his phone gave others hope.
"It was scary. It's kind of like pulling up on a car accident, your heart sinks and you don't really know what to do. But of course, the police were there, so there was nothing I could do," Bays said.
The woman was pulled to safety and taken to a local hospital.
Situations like these are also tense moments for the people in charge of water rescues.
J.D. Kesler is the assistant director of Vigo County emergency management.
He says reporting emergencies are crucial.
"Any emergency is an emergeny worth reporting. No matter what you see, report it," said Kesler.
What could have been a water rescue, was a life saving moment that many will never forget.
- "Your heart sinks and you don't really know what to do..." News 10 speaks with man that shot video of life-saving bridge rescue
- Life-saving principal in Clinton honored
- A life saving procedure: Local woman shares brain aneurysm journey
- "It's life saving." Where your blood donations are going
- Nearly 100 Sullivan County kids learn life-saving lesson
- Wabash Valley woman donates to help save a child's life
- Poplar Street Bridge Update
- Sullivan County man safe after water rescue
- Vigo County manufacturing plant gets new life
- New Life holds 4th of July Celebration