MARTIN COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - Officials report that on Friday morning a potential threat was made by a student at Loogootee High School.
The school corporation reports they contacted the Martin County Sheriff’s Office. They as well as the Martin County Prosecutor believe the threat has been contained.
Martin County Sheriff’s Office reports their investigation determined it was a student who made a ‘careless remark about a firearm’ and they believe it was a prank.
“However, in today’s times, we must take every precaution to protect our children,” Martin County Sheriff’s Office reports. “We are conducting a comprehensive search of the school in concert with Loogootee School personnel.
That student was taken into custody but while investigating the original threat, a second threat was made. Police report that student was quickly taken into custody as well.
Students were released early so officers could fully search buildings. The school corporation allowed parents to pick up their children earlier than the dismissal if they wanted to.
“To reiterate, the threat has not been substantiated by any evidence. But we are still taking every precaution including asking Loogootee Schools to close early to facilitate a more comprehensive search,” the sheriff’s office also stated.
As of 2:30 p.m., officials report the full search was completed and no credible threat existed.
Loogootee Community Schools as well as local law enforcement and prosecutor's office, will be holding a Community School Safety Forum on Feb. 19 at 6 p.m. in the high school auditorium. Officials report they will be providing additional details in regards to school safety.
News 10 will continue to follow this story and bring you the latest when information becomes available.
- Two students taken into custody after threats made at Loogoottee High School; officials report neither threat credible
- Sheriff says no credible threat against school
- South Vermillion HS student arrested after police report a threat was made with a pocket knife
- Student arrested following another social media threat at Columbus East High School
- North Putnam student arrested after allegedly making threat against high school
- Richland Co. Schools respond to school violence threats
- Local High School Students go high tech
- THN student arrested for making threats on Snapchat
- Sullivan Co. juvenile detained after potential threat against other students
- Police investigate potential threat at North Central High School in Farmersburg