VIGO COUNTY, Ind. (WTHI) - A traffic stop in Vigo County lands two people behind bars after officers say they found a stolen police issue handgun.
It happened Friday just before 1:00 on U.S. 40 near Hunt Street.
Police say they stopped a car being driven by 35-year-old Terre Haute resident Lorenzo Harris.
They say Harris was driving 63 mph in a 40 mph zone.
When police approached the car, they claim they could smell possible burnt marijuana.
After searching the car they troopers say they found a stolen handgun in the passenger's purse.
That passenger was identified as 37-year-old Sasha Batson, of Terre Haute.
The Glock .40 caliber handgun was reported stolen last year and had the same serial number of a handgun that belonged to the Indianapolis Metro Police Department.
Police believe the gun was stolen from a retired Indianapolis police officer's car that was staying at a local hotel last year.
Both Harris and Baston were arrested,
Harris is facing charges of possession of a handgun without a permit, possession of stolen property, operating while intoxicated, and various traffic violations.
Baston was charged with possession of a handgun without a permit.
Both are in the Vigo County Jail.
- Two arrested after police say they found stolen police issue handgun
- Police recover two stolen handguns, juvenile in custody
- Wanted man arrested, police find stolen firearms
- 3 teens arrested with 2 stolen handguns after Kenner armed robbery
- PD: Man found with 28 handguns, 29 rifles, drugs
- Terre Haute man arrested after police say they found stolen vehicles at his home
- Police make arrest after tracking down stolen vehicle
- Police rescue malnourished dog, issue arrest warrant for owner
- Brazilian police issue arrest warrants in Rio 2016 federal probe
- Fayetteville Police Searching For Stolen Pet Pig