MARSHALL, Ill. (WTHI) - Marshall, Illinois' Mayor goes against the city council and grants a liquor license to a convenience store.
Mayor John Trefz granted an open liquor license to the Casey's General Store, located at us 40 and Route One.
The Mayor said Casey's has agreed to keep any hard liquor in the store locked up.
Mayor Trefz also said he felt if he denied the license, Casey's could sue the city. Once Casey's gets its local license, it must then go to the state.
The Marshall Casey's already sells beer and wine.
- Marshall, Illinois Casey General Store granted liquor license
- Illinois governor vetoes bill to license gun stores
- Marshall to receive housing grant
- Illinois fire marshal offers safety tips for Thanksgiving
- Crews break ground on new pool in Marshall, Illinois
- People in Marshall Illinois do a little spring cleaning
- Marshall hoping for grant that could help develop housing
- Indiana retailers, liquor stores reach agreement that could lead to alcohol sales on Sundays
- Indiana liquor stores closed on New Year’s Eve, a Sunday
- Voted down: Liquor stores remain the only place to buy cold beer in Indiana