EL PASO COUNTY, Colo. (KCNC/WLFI)– Investigators in Colorado are trying to determine whether a murder there may have ties to the Delphi double homicide.
Bicyclist Tim Watkins was shot to death on a Colorado trail two weeks ago. There is speculation the murder could be connected to the deaths of Libby German and Abby Williams in February. However, investigators haven't been specific on what makes them think so.
Furthermore, another incident near the same trail where Watkins was shot has led to an arrest, which may also be connected. Police say 31-year-old Daniel Nations is in custody for allegedly threatening several people with a hatchet.
Authorities will not say if Nations is a suspect in Watkins death, but there are new concerns about him. Nations is a convicted sex offender. He was arrested in Colorado while driving a vehicle with expired Indiana license plates.
According to the Indiana Sex Offender Registry, Nations is wanted in Johnson County for failure to appear in court, and to register as a sex offender in Indiana. According to the registry, he was sentenced in Spartanburg County, South Carolina in June of 2007 for indecent exposure.
Jacque Kirby with the El Paso County Sheriff’s Office admitted “many similarities” in the Watkins case and the Delphi murders and is not denying a possible connection. She said police in Indiana have requested no further information be released to the public.
“They have asked us not to speak on their case. So, I’m not at liberty to elaborate on anything that’s related to what happened in Indiana,” said Kirby.
News 18 spoke with Sgt. Kim Riley with Indiana State Police about the possible connection. He said the office investigates any and every lead brought to their attention, and this case is no exception.
- Investigators in Colorado say a murder there may have Delphi connection
- ISP returns from Colorado investigation
- Person of interest in Delphi murders faces new charges in Colorado case
- FBI extends search for Delphi murderer into southeast Tennessee
- Man connected to the murder of Matt Luecking in court
- Carroll County sheriff: ISP investigators in Colorado to question Daniel Nations
- Forum connects voters to candidates
- WTH man sought for questioning in connection to N. 18th Street murder, arrested on separate charge
- Two of three suspects arrested in connection to radio DJ's murder plead guilty
- Terre Haute Police looking for suspect in connection with the murder of Anita Oswald