Orlando, FL – One man and four children are dead after a standoff of more than 20 hours, Orlando police Chief John Mina said.
Mina said officers were in contact with Gary Lindsey Jr., directly and indirectly, by phone throughout the day Monday after he shot an officer around 11:45 p.m. Sunday and barricaded himself in an apartment with the four children, ages 1, 6, 10 and 11.
At one point, Mina said, officers tried to give Lindsey another phone because his had a bad connection, and during the exchange they saw that one of the children was dead.
Officers entered the apartment around 9 p.m. Monday, Mina said, and found that all the children held hostage were dead of gunshot wounds. Lindsey’s body was found in a closet, police said.
Mina said two children are believed to be Lindsey’s and two are his girlfriend’s.
“We have no idea when those poor children lost their lives. That will all be part of the investigation,” Mina said. He added that law enforcement had worked all day to bring the standoff to a peaceful resolution, but unfortunately it was a “tragic and sad” ending.
Officers originally responded to a domestic violence call from Lindsey’s girlfriend Sunday, Mina said. Lindsey, 35, shot at officers when they arrived, hitting one, Mina said. Officers returned fire, but Mina said he did not know whether Lindsey was hit. Police said Lindsey’s girlfriend made the initial call after she had left the house.
The officer shot was identified as Kevin Valencia, who has been with the Orlando police since 2016. He remains in critical condition after surgery, Mina said.
Mina told CNN affiliate WFTV that Valencia, who is in his late 20s and has a wife and two boys, was expected to survive.
“He’s extremely strong, and we’re praying for the best,” the police chief said.
Mina said Lindsey has been arrested before for arson and domestic violence battery. Criminal records show Lindsey has been arrested four times for violating his probation, CNN affiliate WKMG reported.
- Four children, gunman found dead after Orlando hostage situation, police say
- Gunman takes hostages at veterans home, won’t answer police
- Hostage-taker in France kills 3, is shot dead by police
- Police respond to situation on 1st Avenue near 14th Street
- Police respond to situation at local housing complex
- Schools face concerns after active shooter situation
- Suspect in barricade situation enters plea agreement
- Dugger man found dead in private pond
- Police release identity of suspect involved in Clay County barricade situation
- Police head off potentially dangerous situation at Daviess County elementary school